International Student Admission

Students who are not United States citizens or United States permanent residents are required to complete the international student application for admission. In addition to the application, all international students are required to supply the following documents:

  • Official copies of transcripts with an original stamp, signature, or seal is required. The transcript should be in the original language of instruction, with a certified English translation if applicable.
  • Official documentation of English proficiency (see specific English language requirements below).
  • A clear photocopy of identity page of passport (to ensure correct spelling of applicant’s name and verification of birthdate).
  • Official and original results of any standardized tests, such as SAT and ACT examinations. SAT and ACT examinations are not required for international students but are highly recommended for consideration of merit scholarship eligibility.
  • Optional additional supporting application documents include: letter(s) of recommendations and a personal statement.


English language proficiency requirement

Central College requires international student applicants to provide one of the following test scores to validate English language proficiency:

  • A TOEFL score of 530 paper-based or a score of 71 on the internet-based (IBT) test.
  • A band score of 6.0 on the IELTS with no sub score lower than a 5.5.
  • SAT Critical Reading score of 420.


English language proficiency is also met in any of the following ways:

  • Completion of 36 transferrable credits from an accredited US institution (required for transfer students).
  • First-year students who have attended four years at a U.S. or international based high school where English was the primary method of instruction and grades of “C”/2.0 or better were earned in their English language courses.
  • Successful completion of level 112 of the Intensive English for Academic Purposes Program from an ELS English Language Center.  An official Academic Report and copy of the ELS Certificate must be sent directly from ELS to Central’s office of admission.